» i need help, with fobs not mentaly
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am by Norwegian Woods

» New member from Norway
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 am by Norwegian Woods

» QAD Rest set up
Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm by grumpy413

» New to fobs.
Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm by Plrosey33

» How much will the extra weight affect arrow spine?
Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm by Stykbow1

» New guy!
Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 pm by trainman673

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
roosclan

PostSubject: First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs   Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:05 am

I'm getting my first bow -- a Maitland Retribution -- soon and will be having my pro shop set it up. I'd like them to paper tune it, but how do you paper tune with FOBs? Is paper tuning really necessary, even? I haven't shot a bow since I was 14 ( about 22 years ago), so I'm really new at all of this. I'm being pretty unconventional for my first foray back into archery, with a small company bow and FOBs to start off with.

My friends that bowhunt have all recommended I wait until I get my bow to see what arrows to choose, but I think I've narrowed it down to a few affordable arrows, as I'll be starting out at 60# until I can build up my shoulder to my planned hunting weight of 65-67#. I figure that probably means two different sets of arrows, right? I'll save the expensive arrows for when I reach my hunting DW. So far I'm considering:
Easton Flatline, Gold Tip XT Hunters, Beman ICS Hunter, or Victory VForcew.

My specs:
Ripcord Code Red
DL = 27"
DW = 60# to start, ending up at 65-67#
thinking of a 26" arrow, nock to insert, with a goal weight around 380gr. I was thinking of a 125gr tip to keep the FOC toward the higher end.

I've tried the trial version of OT2, but the only arrows it give me as being perfect for my setup are arrows I've never even heard of, and I know my pro shop doesn't carry them. Needless to say, I'm confused and could sure use some help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs   Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:30 am

First Welcome to the team.

Now Congrats on the new bow, The way to paper tune is to use a fletched arrow and walk back and broadhead tune with FOB's

Is paper tuning necessary? I say yes it aligns your rest to insure your arrow is flying true and straight. Proper arrow length is 1" in front of your drop away rest at full draw. That is what the arrow companies post on their sites.

I like the arrow about 1" in front of arrow shelf for shooting fixed blades.

Welcome again Will
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.archeryaddix.com
MetalMan0880
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs   Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:24 pm

This is what im going to say. Number 1, you will really need to have your bow set up before you can be 100% on arrow spine, and length. Second, With paper tuning, i do it all the time and i shoot FOBS. You remove the FOB and shoot bare shaft(ONLY ABOUT 6YDS FROM TARGET)and it had always worked for me. then you can walk back and tune as you want. Be sure that while you are setting up you constantly watch out for clearance. As for your arrow selection i have shot both the GoldTip XT Hunters and Victory V1's both with great success.

If you need any help or get confused when you need to buy something, just throw a post up here or pm someone and we will get you all squared away.

Best of luck, and Welcome to Team StarrFlight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://archerynation.forumotion.com/forum
roosclan

PostSubject: Re: First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:38 pm

VAhunter08 wrote:
First Welcome to the team.

Now Congrats on the new bow, The way to paper tune is to use a fletched arrow and walk back and broadhead tune with FOB's
So should I make sure the vanes weigh the same as a FOB to make it accurate? I also plan on putting a wrap on as well, but obviously I don't want to do that until I have my arrows selected. Should I wrap tape around the shaft equal to the weight of the wrap I'm going to use?

Quote :
Is paper tuning necessary? I say yes it aligns your rest to insure your arrow is flying true and straight. Proper arrow length is 1" in front of your drop away rest at full draw. That is what the arrow companies post on their sites.

This is good to know, as I plan on shooting fixed blades. Of course, the two contradict each other, as I'll need a 26" arrow to be in front of the rest, but around a 28" arrow to be 1" in front of the shelf. If the FOB will clear the shelf, wouldn't the broadhead? We're only talking about 3/8" larger diameter...

MetalMan0880 wrote:
This is what im going to say. Number 1, you will really need to have your bow set up before you can be 100% on arrow spine, and length. Second, With paper tuning, i do it all the time and i shoot FOBS. You remove the FOB and shoot bare shaft(ONLY ABOUT 6YDS FROM TARGET)and it had always worked for me. then you can walk back and tune as you want.
I hope I'm accurate enough to properly walk back tune. Not having shot in 20+ years is going to make that... interesting.

Quote :

Be sure that while you are setting up you constantly watch out for clearance. As for your arrow selection i have shot both the GoldTip XT Hunters and Victory V1's both with great success.
As for watching out for clearance: I have the clear FOB to check for clearance. Are you referring to the launch to see if it is contacting the rest? What should I look for specifically?

Quote :

If you need any help or get confused when you need to buy something, just throw a post up here or pm someone and we will get you all squared away.

Thanks! I'm sure I"m going to have plenty of questions, especially when it comes time to decide on a broadhead. I'd like to go with a shorter arrow, but I don't know if I can when shooting a fixed blade head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs   Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Quote :

This is good to know, as I plan on shooting fixed blades. Of course, the two contradict each other, as I'll need a 26" arrow to be in front of the rest, but around a 28" arrow to be 1" in front of the shelf. If the FOB will clear the shelf, wouldn't the broadhead? We're only talking about 3/8" larger diameter...

This is just my personal preference with todays rests you don't need to hang the BH in front of the shelf anymore.

MetalMan0880 wrote:
This is what im going to say. Number 1, you will really need to have your bow set up before you can be 100% on arrow spine, and length. Second, With paper tuning, i do it all the time and i shoot FOBS. You remove the FOB and shoot bare shaft(ONLY ABOUT 6YDS FROM TARGET)and it had always worked for me. then you can walk back and tune as you want.
I hope I'm accurate enough to properly walk back tune. Not having shot in 20+ years is going to make that... interesting.

Quote :

Be sure that while you are setting up you constantly watch out for clearance. As for your arrow selection i have shot both the GoldTip XT Hunters and Victory V1's both with great success.
As for watching out for clearance: I have the clear FOB to check for clearance. Are you referring to the launch to see if it is contacting the rest? What should I look for specifically?

You want to make sure it will clear cables, rest, arrow shelf and riser. I think this is where MetalMan was talking about.

Quote :

Thanks! I'm sure I"m going to have plenty of questions, especially when it comes time to decide on a broadhead. I'd like to go with a shorter arrow, but I don't know if I can when shooting a fixed blade head.[/quote]

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, Look to the colored pasages above for my answers.

Will
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.archeryaddix.com
roosclan

PostSubject: UPDATE   Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:52 pm

So, I have my HT-2 Harvester arrows from Harvest Time Archery, .350 spine, 28 1/8" shaft, PDP inserts with 30gr screw in weights and 150gr tips, wraps, FOB wraps, and Bohning nocks. Total arrow weight of 474gr.

I calculated the weight of the FOB, wrap, and mini-wrap, and added 6" strips of electrical tape to the back of the arrow totaling the weight of the missing components. The paper tuning arrows weigh within a grain or two of my completed arrows. The back of the arrow is slightly thicker, but not by much.

Will this work for paper tuning? I'm heading to a pro shop on Saturday to get it tuned better. Since the arrow weight is the same, and in the same location, I'm thinking that it should...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs   

Back to top Go down

First bow: arrow selection and ? about paper tuning with FOBs
Page 1 of 1