» i need help, with fobs not mentaly
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am by Norwegian Woods

» New member from Norway
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 am by Norwegian Woods

» QAD Rest set up
Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm by grumpy413

» New to fobs.
Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm by Plrosey33

» How much will the extra weight affect arrow spine?
Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm by Stykbow1

» New guy!
Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 pm by trainman673

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

FOB making noise w/ string suppressor

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jcnbowhunter

PostSubject: FOB making noise w/ string suppressor   Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:25 am

I'm shooting a 28" DXT w/ a qad ultra rest. On a DXT there is no threaded hole opposite of where the stabilizer screws in. I bought the Hi-Tek suppressor which is modified to fit the back of the DXT so you don't have to screw the suppressor in on the front of the bow behind the stabilizer.

The majority of you are going to think I'm crazy when I tell you what I'm having problems with, but I can assure you it's the case. I received the fob's a few days b/f the suppressor and had shot them over Christmas break. To that point I had no problems. After putting the string suppressor on my bow I noticed a "twang" typd of noise which could be heard about 4 out of shots. It wasn't just me. I was shooting with my brother in law that first day w/ the suppressor and through 30 or so shots we both agreed whether or not we did or didn't hear the noise on every shot. I took the suppressor off and remounted it thinking due to the way it mounts the noise must be coming from the suppressor, but I wasn't positive. I took out my arrows that had vanes on them and tried shooting them w/ the suppressor and it was as quiet as could be. I figured it was just coincedence and shot the fobs several times and just as it had before it was making noise about 80% of the time. I asked a friend to come by one afternoon and help me out with something. I didn't tell him the problem I was having. I just told him to watch me shoot about 15 or so shots, 1/2 w/ fobs and 1/2 w/ vanes and see if he notices anything unusual. Sure enough after 15 or so shots he said he noticed a noise w/ almost every fob shot but didn't notice any noise at all w/ the vanes.

I'm positive it's not the rest either b/c the fob's don't make any noise when I shoot w/ out the string suppressor.

Like I said, I know it doesn't make any sense at all. That being said unless my bow has coincedentally made the twang noise on only the shots w/ the suppressor and fobs through 200+ shots of mixing fobs/vanes with suppressor/no suppressor, the noise is being caused by something that only happens when I shoot w/ the fobs and the string suppressor mounted.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MetalMan0880
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FOB making noise w/ string suppressor   Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:45 am

Well i have to admit, i have never heard this one. I know you say your not hearing it all the time but im going to ask anyways. Are you sure there are no clearence issues? Vanes are more forgiving then FOBS. Its really important to be sure everything has enough room to fly, but i have never really heard of anyone having a problem with a QAD rest and FOBS. Also i would do a once over and make sure everything is tight and solid on your bow, also check the feild points and make sure there tight. Please let us know if this still happens.

cory
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://archerynation.forumotion.com/forum
jcnbowhunter

PostSubject: Re:   Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm wouldn't emphatically say that's not the case, but I've assumed that wasn't the problem b/c the bow had been tuned w/in a month of getting my fob's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roosclan

PostSubject: Re: FOB making noise w/ string suppressor   Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:16 pm

jcnbowhunter wrote:
I'm wouldn't emphatically say that's not the case, but I've assumed that wasn't the problem b/c the bow had been tuned w/in a month of getting my fob's.
If your bow was tuned without the suppressor, then it may need to be retuned since I would think that a suppressor would change the string oscillation a bit (different point of stopping and all...). It may very well be that you are getting contact with the FOBs now when you weren't before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drcoffee

PostSubject: Re: FOB making noise w/ string suppressor   Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Since the string is stopping more suddenly than with out the stop, there's a good likelihood that there is a slight vibration between the fob and the shaft as the nock releases. You can try two things. First, spread the nock out a ittle so that it comes of the string easier. And also wrap a small amout of tape at the end of the shaft under the FOB to make it fit more snug. On my black GT shafts I have the wrap all the way to the end so that the FOB covers the wrap and its snug but not too tight. Also, check your bow for any loose fittings that might be vibrating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JWG

PostSubject: Re: FOB making noise w/ string suppressor   Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:25 pm

How far is your string away from stopper? I have found that you need to mess around with distance of that gap. I start with the string off the stop about the width of a business card(about 1/32") and move it back slightly from there until you find the "sweet spot".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.camospace.com/10604
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FOB making noise w/ string suppressor   

Back to top Go down

FOB making noise w/ string suppressor
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Archery Nation  :: Technical Questions/Set Up-
Jump to: