» i need help, with fobs not mentaly
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am by Norwegian Woods

» New member from Norway
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 am by Norwegian Woods

» QAD Rest set up
Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm by grumpy413

» New to fobs.
Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm by Plrosey33

» How much will the extra weight affect arrow spine?
Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm by Stykbow1

» New guy!
Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 pm by trainman673

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Bear Charge Bow Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rfnorman

PostSubject: Bear Charge Bow Review   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 pm

In August o
f 2011, I was shooting an ancient Alpine Rebel compound and found myself frustrated with the inconsistency. I had a good site and triple checked my peep and rest alignment. No matter what I did, I could not shoot as consistently as I wanted. I took the bow to my local outdoors shop and asked for advice. The advice was to get rid of that old bow and get something more modern. Since I have some limitations on my budget, I decided to go with a budget bow. The dealer recommended the Bear Charge. Said you just can't beat the price for performance ratio.

I bought the ready to hunt version that included a whisker biscuit, trophy ridge three pin site, D-loop, peep, 6-shooter quiver and a basic stabilizer. This is the bare bow:

As soon as I picked up the Bear Charge, I could feel the difference from what I had been shooting. It was a lot lighter at 3.7 lbs. The thin grip felt good in my hand. When I pulled it back, I noticed how smooth the draw cycle was with the sealed cam bearings. There was no stacking as you progressed through the draw. Upon reaching the let-off part of the draw, it was a dramatic change. With 80% let-off, I felt like I could hold this all day. I fired an arrow at the practice target. It was surprisingly quiet. I must qualify this observation though. I was shooting at only about 53 lbs. I had the 60-70 lb version, but there really was plenty of bolt to adjust down to 50 lbs. A good thing since I was still recovering from shoulder surgery. Later, when I had gradually built up strength to shoot 65 to 70 lbs, I did notice some string twang until I added a limb saver string silencer. Now there is just a nice "thwwaacckk at release.

The bow is rated at an IBO speed of 305. Shooting next to my neighbor with his Mathews (3 years old), I could not tell which was faster. More importantly, Once I got it sighted in, I found the inconsistency I had been experiencing with the old bow was gone. Groups at 20 yards were within an inch or two. At 30 yards, I had no problem consistently hitting a golden delicious apple. At 40 yards, groups were within three to four inches.

I mentioned the bow is light. It also is very compact with an axle to axle of only 30 inches. Great to shoot from the tree stand or from awkward positions. Took my first deer from a stand about 25 feet up, a doe from 30 yards. She didn't go more than 50 yards.

The fit and finish on the bow is quite nice. Not that I care that much about how pretty it is. The camo dip is well done with no identifiable blemishes. The cams are beautiful and adjust from 26 to 30 inches without a bow press.

Now, I must acknowledge in this review that this is the first and only modern bow I have owned. The only point of reference I have is the ancient Alpine I had been shooting. So, I am sure there are other bows out there that are much more impressive. Still, I have to say, I am just thrilled with this bow. SInce I put a fall-away Apache rest on it and started shooting FOB's, I really have to be careful not to shoot at the same point each time to avoid breaking FOB's. What a great problem to have!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm

rfnorman Thanks for that great review on the Bear Charge. I will tell you one thing The Bow that you shoot well with, that is comfortable and has your confidence to take game with, that is the perfect bow for you. If it makes you happy then there is no other bow you need.

I am shooting a 2008 Martin Saber, it is all the bow I need I am quite happy with it and it takes game when ever I ask it to. I have never had an issue with it and it has never had an issue with me. LOL

I give you two thumbs up on your review and outlook on your bow of choice. I hope it takes lots of game and or very many targets. I thank you for your honest opinion and your appreciation for the frugal as I am also on a fixed income (disability) and know it is hard. I am looking forward to further reviews on the other products you have.

Will
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.archeryaddix.com
rfnorman

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks Will! Here's to a very successful hunting season for you! And a very merry Christmas as well! santa

Bob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks Bob and a Merry Christmas to you and yours. santa

This is the 4th hunting season I will be missing due to being on disability. It does drive one nuts, I can't wait to get back in the field and take anything I would be happy with a squirrel LOL but soon I am hoping. Very Happy

But thanks for the wish of luck just the same. Are you planning on going out this year?

Will
Back to top Go down
rfnorman

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Hey Will,

Here's hoping you will be able to get back out there! The sooner the better. Missouri Bow season goes until January 15th. I will be out there at least a couple more times before then. After that, I will look forward to spring Turkey Season in April. Or, If I get a tip on the location of some feral hogs, I might go after some of them. Any excuse to shoot is good enough for me. santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 pm

rfnorman wrote:
Hey Will,

Here's hoping you will be able to get back out there! The sooner the better. Missouri Bow season goes until January 15th. I will be out there at least a couple more times before then. After that, I will look forward to spring Turkey Season in April. Or, If I get a tip on the location of some feral hogs, I might go after some of them. Any excuse to shoot is good enough for me. santa

Thanks for the kind words as you have stated I will get back into it sooner or later. I rather it be sooner lol. I hope you get to fill your tags this year. Good luck on the hog situation, I know exactly what you mean about any excuse to shoot. Do you rifle hunt too?

Will
Back to top Go down
rfnorman

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:03 pm

No rifle hunting this year. Will be buying a .243 bolt action Marlin soon for next year. My wife wants to hunt too and can't pull a bow.

Bob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:31 am

rfnorman wrote:
No rifle hunting this year. Will be buying a .243 bolt action Marlin soon for next year. My wife wants to hunt too and can't pull a bow.

Bob

Good choice in rifle. I don't mean to pry and just let me know if I am but, Your wife medically can't pull a bow or just not strong enough? If the latter is true then have you looked into the Mission Craze it has over 40lbs of weight adjustment. if the former is true I'm sorry didn't mean to pry. Click here for the Craze

It is great to have a wife that enjoys the very same hobbies as you. Congrats I hope it all works out for you.

Will

Back to top Go down
Fryguy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:14 pm

I cant get my wife into my hobbies, but I have my oldest daughter who love to shoot with me....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://archerynation.forumotion.com
rfnorman

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Hey Fryguy! Glad to hear your daughter is into it! I know I am pretty lucky my wife is interested.

VAHunter, she is not able to pull a bow due to degenerative disc disease. We plan to get a crossbow in addition to the rifle though. With a doctor's approval, she will be able to use that during bow season. That will keep us hunting at least six months out of the year. Fishing the rest of the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:02 am

Fryguy wrote:
I cant get my wife into my hobbies, but I have my oldest daughter who love to shoot with me....

I too have a wife that is not that much interested in my hobbies but I too have a daughter (12yrs) who is into hunting and fishing and my daughter-in-law also, is a hunter and fishes.

rfnorman wrote:
Hey Fryguy! Glad to hear your daughter is into it! I know I am pretty lucky my wife is interested.

VAHunter, she is not able to pull a bow due to degenerative disc disease. We plan to get a crossbow in addition to the rifle though. With a doctor's approval, she will be able to use that during bow season. That will keep us hunting at least six months out of the year. Fishing the rest of the time.

I too am dealing with Degenerative disc disease in my lower back and have been out with cancer I hope that part is over now battling the back issues and lung function issues along with sciatic nerve problems. It stinks I know.

Sorry didn't mean Hijack your thread here.

Will
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bear Charge Bow Review   

Back to top Go down

Bear Charge Bow Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1