Archery Nation
Archery Nation
Archery Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Compound Bow Workout Helper Archerynation-2-1
Like Us
Order your Fobs here
Photobucket
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 190 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:11 am
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» My Hoyt AlphaMax 32
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 11:05 am by bigbuck150

» FOB's and NAP Apache
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:09 pm by dano

» noob
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 pm by dano

» Why?
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 am by tradermike69

» New Guy from Missouri
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:16 pm by tradermike69

» New Wanna Be Here
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 am by tradermike69

» Flu Flu Arrows with a compound bow
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm by oldmanontheriver

» i need help, with fobs not mentaly
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am by Norwegian Woods

» New member from Norway
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 am by Norwegian Woods

» QAD Rest set up
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm by grumpy413

» New to fobs.
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm by Plrosey33

» How much will the extra weight affect arrow spine?
Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm by Stykbow1

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Compound Bow Workout Helper

Go down 
+2
VAhunter08
NevadaDave
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NevadaDave

NevadaDave

Compound Bow Workout Helper Empty
PostSubject: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:51 pm

I recently got back into archery but I haven't shot a bow in over 30 years. I purchased a Bear Mauler at 60-70 pounds (I'm a 29-70). I got the bow and realized that I can hardly pull it back to full-draw. There are several reasons for this, one of which is my fear of an accidental dry-firing. The other main reason for this is that I am not strong enough where it counts. I'm a normal-to-large sized guy at 6' 2" and 225 pounds. I'm a "Double XL". Still, it was very difficult for me to draw the 70 pound bow back to anchor point. Obviously I need to work out some specific muscle groups in order to be able to effectively use this bow.

I figure the best workout would be one involving the bow itself. I should practice drawing back, then slowly letting off, and do this every day, or every other day, so as to build up the strength I need, where I need it.

It's 20 degrees outside, so doing this indoors is a must.

My fear of dry firing is because my release, a Scott Caliper, has a hair trigger, even when adjusted for a heavier pull. If I even get near that trigger the thing will fire, and a dry-fire is a real bad thing. If I load an arrow, and have an inadvertent release while practicing in the house - equally bad thing.

I need some sort of safety for my release. Even better, a device that CAN'T release, that I can put on the D-loop and practice drawing with.

I took a small punch and removed the pin that holds the release mechanism to my wrist strap, and fashioned a connector that will not release no matter what. I used a piece of nylon strap and a little snap-connector I had. It came as a shoulder-strap on a spotlight that I no longer have. Now I have a device based on the actual release I will use, that will help me get in shape for shooting my new bow.

Compound Bow Workout Helper Safe-d10

Back to top Go down
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 1:56 am

That is awesome bro, now all ya gotta do is patent it and find a way to market it sell it for $19.95. Seriously it looks great and it is an awesome job looks clean and I bet you can use it all day long and the best part is no money out of pocket.

Just make sure you are practicing good form and drawing habits. Also learn to use the right muscle groups and let the back muscles do most of the work. You got a mirror you can use? if not you can video yourself so you can see what nasty habits you have developed and git rid of them.

Great work I think you have got a winner there you wanna make me one lol J/K

Will
Back to top Go down
http://www.archeryaddix.com
jcrayford

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:43 am

Dave, looks awesome!!! That should do the trick and be very safe as well....

My suggestion would be to lower the poundage to 60 and start building your muscle groups from there. If you've got the bow cranked up to 70 and are struggling to yank it back, that's an indication that an injury is on it's way (potentially) - lower your DW and build solid form and technique without injury...

J.
Back to top Go down
NevadaDave

NevadaDave

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:50 am

@J - Thanks for the tips. That's the first thing I did when I got the bow. I cranked it down to 60.

@Will - I realized after making this that I do not like wrist-strap releases, not at all. I do not like the way all the pull is on the wrist. I injured both wrists in a car wreck 20 years ago,and after a few pulls with this release I could feel that old injury. I'm gonna have to use a hand-held release, which for me allows a much stronger draw. I put on a leather glove and drew the bow from the string with three fingers and it came back to full draw without any problems at all. With the wrist release I could barely get it back three times. So if you want this thing, you can paypal me 10 bucks and it's yours. I don't need it. Now I will fire up the mill and make myself a t-handle style practice tool.

Back to top Go down
rfnorman

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Hey NevadaDave.

Great you are getting back into archery! Sounds like you've got the right plan to build up your strength. Will take a little time, but I'm sure you can do it. I had surgery earlier this year and had to start out with very low pull weight, probably around 40 lbs before I got my new bow. Have just recently, after about 6 months, gotten to where I can pull the full 70 lbs without trouble. Keep up the exercises! rendeer
Back to top Go down
olsen71
Team Member
olsen71

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Thats a great thing you made Smile

Back to top Go down
Fryguy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Keep up the good work..
Back to top Go down
https://archerynation.forumotion.com
NevadaDave

NevadaDave

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks fellas!
Back to top Go down
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 3:44 pm

NevadaDave wrote:
@J - Thanks for the tips. That's the first thing I did when I got the bow. I cranked it down to 60.

@Will - I realized after making this that I do not like wrist-strap releases, not at all. I do not like the way all the pull is on the wrist. I injured both wrists in a car wreck 20 years ago,and after a few pulls with this release I could feel that old injury. I'm gonna have to use a hand-held release, which for me allows a much stronger draw. I put on a leather glove and drew the bow from the string with three fingers and it came back to full draw without any problems at all. With the wrist release I could barely get it back three times. So if you want this thing, you can paypal me 10 bucks and it's yours. I don't need it. Now I will fire up the mill and make myself a t-handle style practice tool.

Sorry to hear that, I am glad you are recovered from that. I know how certain things can flair up old injury's. Glad to see you are on the right track for getting back into archery though. Might I recommend looking into TruBall handle releases they are a Christ centered company TruBall .

Please hold it for me I am trying to work on the wife to borrow some paypal from her, I have borrowed a lot of paypal from her recently and I will have to ask nicer. LOL

Shoot me a pm or hit the e-mail button and we can discuss it in more detail.

Thanks brother

Will
Back to top Go down
NevadaDave

NevadaDave

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 3:58 pm

I ordered a True Fire 3d Hunter in camo. I saw a lot of very good reviews of that one. It should be here Wednesday.

To answer your other question about the Flash Point sight - no, not eBay. It was in a store here and marked at 42 bucks. Someone marked it wrong, and then they gave me a 20 percent discount off that! Normally I would have told them, and paid the right price, but this particular store is owned by a family who owns several other stores in town - the have monopolies on the lumber yard, pharmacy and the sporting good store. They routinely overcharge for most of what they sell because they can get away with it. So I don't feel any worse at all for getting the sight so cheap. They should educate their cashiers better.

This little clip I made for practicing is so easy to make, you could make three for ten bucks. It's just a piece of old nylon strap and a clip, a little screw and two washers and a nut.
Back to top Go down
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Sounds good I was going to recommend True Fire as well I just didn't want to overwhelm you with choices.

There are so many choices when it comes to handles.

That was a good buy and I agree with you if you know they are gouging you on the prices then it is a gift when they miss mark something.

I agree with you on the strap shoot me a pm any ways and we'll talk there.

Will

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compound Bow Workout Helper   Compound Bow Workout Helper Empty

Back to top Go down

Compound Bow Workout Helper
Page 1 of 1