Archery Nation
Archery Nation
Archery Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada Archerynation-2-1
Like Us
Order your Fobs here
Photobucket
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 190 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:11 am
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» My Hoyt AlphaMax 32
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 11:05 am by bigbuck150

» FOB's and NAP Apache
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:09 pm by dano

» noob
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 pm by dano

» Why?
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 am by tradermike69

» New Guy from Missouri
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:16 pm by tradermike69

» New Wanna Be Here
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 am by tradermike69

» Flu Flu Arrows with a compound bow
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm by oldmanontheriver

» i need help, with fobs not mentaly
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am by Norwegian Woods

» New member from Norway
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 am by Norwegian Woods

» QAD Rest set up
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm by grumpy413

» New to fobs.
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm by Plrosey33

» How much will the extra weight affect arrow spine?
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm by Stykbow1

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NevadaDave

NevadaDave

Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada Empty
PostSubject: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Here in White Pine County we have one of the largest elk herds in the country. This past September I went hunting with a friend whose son had a bull tag. My friend and I were on top of a mountain glassing the valley below when I spotted a stark-white "branch" protruding from under a stand of pinyon pines about a mile or so away from where we were standing. Over the course of a few hours I kept on going back to that spot with my binoculars and after a while I decided that I was looking shed antlers. We all love finding sheds so I made a mental note to be sure and drive out that way so I could stop and pick up the antlers. We had to park a couple hundred yards away from where the antlers were and hike over to the area. As we approached we started seeing bones scattered all around and I started getting excited because I knew the entire animal lay here, his bones having been spread about by the predators we have up here - probably a lion. Sure as can be, we reached the antlers and there was the skull. You can see that he was probably around two years old, and that his demise came from a blow to the face, which caved in his skull right below the eye socket. The elk made his way up the mountain and lay down under this pinyon stand to die. He might have been a satellite bull trying to get close to the herd, and got gored by the alpha bull, or perhaps he was kicked by a cow when he tried to approach her from behind. Nevertheless there are no signs of damage on his antlers so I don't think a fight was involved. Nor do I think he was shot because there is no exit wound.

Judging by the discoloration of one side of the antlers vs the other, I would say he lay there for many years. One side of his antlers have been bleached white by the sun as they faced south. The other side was under a layer of dirt beneath the pinyon, and is much darker.

In pondering this elk's demise it becomes sobering to know that this noble animal died in a most beautiful place, probably in a very painful manner. I only hope that he passed before the lions got to him. I hope I am indeed honoring this animal and giving him the respect he is due, by mounting his skull on my shed out in the yard.

If I have any foreknowledge of my own demise, I would like to hike back up to that spot, and lay down where he did, for my final rest. It is one of the most beautiful, serene places I have ever seen, and I feel blessed to live mere minutes away from it.

Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada P1010212

Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada Elkhea11

Last edited by NevadaDave on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NevadaDave

NevadaDave

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 6:16 pm

This is where I was standing when I spotted the elk skull. The stand of pinyons is actually to the left of this view down on that valley floor.

Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada P1010213

The sun coming up over the high Schell Mountains in Eastern Central Nevada. I LOVE LIVING HERE!!!
Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada P1010214
Back to top Go down
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Excellent memory, I think you are doing the animal a good service by hanging his head on your barn. You are giving him place honor. That is one heck of a view and couldn't ask for a better final resting place, We get some great views around here too, but that one is hard to beat. I can understand your wanting it to be your final resting place too. I am sure he was dead before the big cats got to him.

Thanks for sharing that memory with us. It was awesome and such a peaceful and serene area.

Will
Back to top Go down
http://www.archeryaddix.com
NevadaDave

NevadaDave

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks Will. It didn't take much in terms of memory - this just happened 6 weeks ago or so. Any longer than that though, and old-timer's starts creeping in.

I like to think he died as he lay down and that the cats got him after that.

We like to go up there on horseback and look for sheds. It's easier from the high perch of a saddled horse.
Back to top Go down
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 pm

NevadaDave wrote:
Thanks Will. It didn't take much in terms of memory - this just happened 6 weeks ago or so. Any longer than that though, and old-timer's starts creeping in.

I like to think he died as he lay down and that the cats got him after that.

We like to go up there on horseback and look for sheds. It's easier from the high perch of a saddled horse.

LOL I hear you on that. I like to use memory rather than story to me story is something you tell children at bed time. lol

I would like to think that too. I bet it is a very relaxing ride.
Back to top Go down
olsen71
Team Member
olsen71

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Looks like a great area to hunt Smile
Back to top Go down
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 3:33 pm

olsen71 wrote:

Hey Olsen why don't you come over and we can all meet and hunt one year?? That would be a blast. afro

Will
Back to top Go down
olsen71
Team Member
olsen71

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 12:14 pm

VAhunter08 wrote:
olsen71 wrote:

Hey Olsen why don't you come over and we can all meet and hunt one year?? That would be a blast. afro

Will

If the board here pays my ticket Im ready to visit you any time bounce
Back to top Go down
VAhunter08
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm

olsen71 wrote:
VAhunter08 wrote:
olsen71 wrote:

Will

If the board here pays my ticket Im ready to visit you any time bounce

LOL I will check with the treasurer and see how much we have in the account. But I don't think we have enough to buy a free bicycle. LOL

Will
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada   Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada Empty

Back to top Go down

Elk hunting in East-Central Nevada
Page 1 of 1